Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The truth is that there is only one terminal dignity—love. And the story of a love is not important—what is important is that one is capable of love. It is perhaps the only glimpse we are permitted of eternity.Helen Hayes
|Roman numerals (uppercase, lowercase)||Special character||Arabic numeral for the same number|
|I, i||Ⅰ, ⅰ||1|
|II, ii||Ⅱ, ⅱ||2|
|III, iii||Ⅲ, ⅲ||3|
|IV, iv||Ⅳ, ⅳ||4|
|V, v||Ⅴ, ⅴ||5|
|VI, vi||Ⅵ, ⅵ||6|
|VII, vii||Ⅶ, ⅶ||7|
|VIII, viii||Ⅷ, ⅷ||8|
|IX, ix||Ⅸ, ⅸ||9|
|X, x||Ⅹ, ⅹ||10|
|L, l||Ⅼ, ⅼ||50|
|C, c||Ⅽ, ⅽ||100|
|D, d||Ⅾ, ⅾ||500|
|M, m||ↀ, Ⅿ, ⅿ||1000|
- The numerals composing a number are written in decreasing order from left to right (but see note 3).
- The values of the numerals making up a number are summed to determine the value of the number (but see note 3).
- When a smaller numeral immediately precedes a larger one (which is usually the next largest numeral), the smaller is subtracted from the larger (eg, IX stands for 10 − 1, or 9).
- A numeral with a macron over it stands for 1000 times the numeral without the macron.
- The lower-case numerals are often used to number the pages of introductory chapters of books.