Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
A woman who could always love would never grow old; and the love of mother and wife would often give or preserve many charms if it were not too often combined with parental and conjugal anger. There remains in the face of women who are naturally serene and peaceful, and of those rendered so by religion, an after-spring, and later an after-summer, the reflex of their most beautiful bloom.Jean Paul Richter
|Roman numerals (uppercase, lowercase)||Special character||Arabic numeral for the same number|
|I, i||Ⅰ, ⅰ||1|
|II, ii||Ⅱ, ⅱ||2|
|III, iii||Ⅲ, ⅲ||3|
|IV, iv||Ⅳ, ⅳ||4|
|V, v||Ⅴ, ⅴ||5|
|VI, vi||Ⅵ, ⅵ||6|
|VII, vii||Ⅶ, ⅶ||7|
|VIII, viii||Ⅷ, ⅷ||8|
|IX, ix||Ⅸ, ⅸ||9|
|X, x||Ⅹ, ⅹ||10|
|L, l||Ⅼ, ⅼ||50|
|C, c||Ⅽ, ⅽ||100|
|D, d||Ⅾ, ⅾ||500|
|M, m||ↀ, Ⅿ, ⅿ||1000|
- The numerals composing a number are written in decreasing order from left to right (but see note 3).
- The values of the numerals making up a number are summed to determine the value of the number (but see note 3).
- When a smaller numeral immediately precedes a larger one (which is usually the next largest numeral), the smaller is subtracted from the larger (eg, IX stands for 10 − 1, or 9).
- A numeral with a macron over it stands for 1000 times the numeral without the macron.
- The lower-case numerals are often used to number the pages of introductory chapters of books.