Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
If frugality were established in the state, and if our expenses were laid out to meet needs rather than superfluities of life, there might be fewer wants, and even fewer pleasures, but infinitely more happiness.Oliver Goldsmith
- A stage or system of social, political or technical development of a large scale order encompassing several or many communities, often on the nation or people scale. (ancient civilisations; western civilisation; the Aztec civilisation.) cf culture.
- A country or group of countries with a common cultural background.
- The act or state of civilizing or being civilized.
- A communal understanding; the achievements of a communal understanding; e.g., Ancient Roman Civilization - the communal understanding of the ancient Romans, or what the communal understanding of the ancient Romans achieved: buildings, conquests, roads, laws.
- A person's preferred human society, with its facilities, in contrast to either wilderness, or uncivilised society.
- I'm glad to get back to civilization after being lost for 3 weeks in the jungle.
- I'm glad to get back to civilization after spending a day with that large noisy group of children.
- (obsolete) The act of civilizing, or the state of being civilized; the state of being refined in manners, from the grossness of savage life and improved in arts and learning.
- (obsolete) The act of rendering a criminal process civil.
an advanced state of society
a group of people or country with a common cultural background
the act or state of being civilized
the achievements of communal understanding
preferred human society
- Collectively, those people of the world considered to have a high standard of behavior and / or a high level of development. Commonly subjectively used by people of one society to exclusively refer to their society, or their elite sub-group, or a few associated societies, implying all others, in time or geography or status, as something less than civilised, as savages or barbarians. cf refinement, elitism, civilised society, the Civilised World
people of the world considered to have a high standard of behavior
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web