Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Nowadays men cannot love seven night but they must have all their desires: that love may not endure by reason; for where they be soon accorded and hasty, heat soon it cooleth. Right so fareth love nowadays, soon hot soon cold: this is no stability. But the old love was not so.Sir Thomas Malory
Third person singular
- (transitive) To form a circle around; to encircle.
- (transitive) To include within its scope; to circumscribe or go round so as to surround; to enclose; to contain.
- (transitive) To include completely; to describe fully or comprehensively.
- This book on English grammar encompasses all irregular verbs.
- (transitive) To go around, especially, to circumnavigate.
- Drake encompassed the globe.
- "encompass" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
Elsewhere on the web