Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
To fill the hour—that is happiness.Ralph Waldo Emerson
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (countable) A father, mother and their sons and daughters; also called nuclear family.
- Her nuclear family was very small.
- (countable) A group of people related by blood, marriage, law, or custom.
- (countable) A kin, tribe; also called extended family.
- (countable, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A rank in the classification of organisms, below order and above genus; a taxon at that rank.
- Magnolias belong to the family Magnoliaceae.
- (countable) A group of people who live together.
- This is my fraternity family at the university.
- (countable) A group of people similar to related by blood, marriage, law, or custom.
- Our company is one big happy family.
- (uncountable) Collectively, people who are members of one's intimate social group.
- They treated me like family.
- (countable) Any group or aggregation of things classed together as kindred or related from possessing in common characteristics which distinguish them from other things of the same order.
- (countable, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A group of instrument having the same basic method of tone production.
- the brass family
- the violin family
- (countable, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A group of languages believed to have descended from the same ancestral language.
- the Indo-European language family
- the Afro-Asiatic language family
In some dialects, family is used as a plurale tantum.
- See also Wikisaurus:class
father, mother and their sons and daughters
group of people related by blood, marriage, law, or custom
rank in a taxonomic classification, above both genus and species
taxon at this rank
group of people who live together
group of people similar to (2)
collectively, people who are members of one's intimate social group
music: a group of instrument having the same basic method of tone production
linguistics: a group of languages believed to have descended from the same ancestral language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Adjectivefamily (not comparable)
- Related to the family.
- The dog was kept as a family pet.
- For Apocynaceae, this type of flower is a family characteristic.
related to the family
- “family” in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- "family" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
- family on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Elsewhere on the web