Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
May you live all the days of your life.Jonathan Swift
- a person who protects or watches over something
- (military) A squad responsible for protecting something.
- The president inspected the guard of honour.
- a part of a machine which blocks access to dangerous parts
- (Australia) panel of a car which encloses the wheel area, especially the front wheels.
- (basketball) A relatively short player, playing farther from the basket than a forward or center.
- (cricket) The position on the popping crease where a batsman makes a mark to align himself with the wicket (see to take guard)
- (American football) The offensive positions between the center and each of the offensive tackles. The main responsibilities of the guard is to protect the quarterback, and open up "holes" through which offensive players can run. There are two guards on the field at once.
- (sports) A player playing a position named guard
- (railways) An employee who normally travels in the last vehicle of a train and is responsible for the safety of the train
Person who protects something
Part of machine blocking dangerous parts
Panel of car enclosing the wheel
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Third person singular
- To protect from some offence (specific or abstract.)
Elsewhere on the web