i (lower case, upper case I)
- Lower case form of I. The ninth lower case letter of the classical Latin alphabet and many variations thereof, including the English alphabet.
The letter i is used in the International Phonetic Alphabet and in several romanization systems to represent a high tense front unrounded vowel (IPA: /i/), such as the sound of i in Spanish and Italian mi and in English machine.
Similar and related symbols
- Ι and ι — Greek
- І and і — Cyrillic I, used in Belarusian and Ukrainian
- Ӏ — Cyrillic palochka, used in the Caucasian languages
- ا — Arabic (alif)
- 1 — Arabic numeral
- Ꭵ — Cherokee (IPA: ə̃) (SAMPA: @~)
- ᛁ — Runic
- ɪ — IPA
- (mathematics, imaginary number): abbreviation of imaginary
- (computer programming, generic index): abbreviation of index
- (mathematics, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) The unit imaginary number that is the square root of -1. Graphically, i is shown on the vertical (y-axis) plane.
- (engineering, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) The current flow in a circuit in amperes.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A common variable name representing a generic index, especially in loops.
- (mathematics, imaginary number that is the positive square root of -1): j
- (computer programming, common variable name representing a generic index): j
Lower case form of upper case roman numeral I, apparently derived from the shape of a notch scored across a tally stick.
i (lower case Roman numeral, upper case I)
- (phoneme): IPA: /aɪ/, /ɪ/, SAMPA: /aI/, /I/
- (letter name): enPR: ī, IPA: /aɪ/, SAMPA: /aI/,
- Homophones: aye, eye
- (mathematics) The symbol for the imaginary number that represents the square root of (-1).
- The ninth letter of the English alphabet. See main entry at I.
- The name of the letter I.
- the position of an i-dot (the dot of an i)
- i-mutation, i-umlaut
i [[Category:Template:lang:bs conjunctions|i]]
From [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:ca:Template:lang:la derivations]] et (“‘and’”).
- and; used to connect two similar words, phrases, sentences, etc.; as well as; together with; in addition to.
- Hi ha moltes colomes i teuladins — There are many pigeons and sparrows.
- Ella escriu els articles i ell els il·lustra amb els seus dibuixos — She writes the articles and he illustrates them with his drawings.
- IPA: /ɪ/
|1st person sing.||ionam||ionamsa|
|2d person sing.||ionat||ionatsa|
|3d sing. masc.||ann||annsan|
|3d sing. fem.||inti||intise|
|1st person pl.||ionainn||ionainne|
|2d person pl.||ionaibh||ionaibhse|
|3d person pl.||iontu||iontusan|
Triggers eclipsis of a following consonant.
- in (used before vowels in place of eclipsis)
Combined with definite article:
- sa (before consonants), san (before vowels): in the (sg.) (triggers lenition)
- sna: in the (pl.) (adds h to vowels)
- the m. pl.
i f. or m. inv.
- Separates sentences.
- Separates clauses in a sentence, when combined with a conjunction of selma'o ja, joi, or bi'i or a preposition or tense marker followed by bo.
- (Location) in, inside of
- Ligge i sengen — Laying in bed.
- Oppe i fjellene — Up in the mountains.
- (Duration of time) for, in, during
- Møtet varte (i) to timer — The meeting lasted (lit. went during) two hours.
- Han var utenlands i mange år — He lived abroad for many years.
- I høst, i vår, i dag, i går — In autumn, in spring, today, yesterday
- (Condition, state) in
- Være i fred — To be in peace.
- Være i god stand — To be in shape (physically fit).
- Leve i fattigdom — To live in poverty.
- (Means, method) in
- Betale i gull — To pay in gold.
- Gjøre noe i all hast — To do something urgently (lit. in all haste)
- i hemmelighet — in secret
- Pertaining to, in reference to
- I deg har jeg en sann venn — In you I have a true friend.
- Adam i Ewa tylko zjedli jabłko — Adam and Eve only ate an apple.
- Patrzę na nią i oczom nie wierzę — I look at her and can't believe my eyes.
- IPA: /i/
i (lowercase, capital I)
- The eleventh letter of the Romanian alphabet generally representing the phoneme /i/. Preceded by h and followed by î.
See I for notes on pronunciation.
- ise (emphatic)
- He, she, it, they (with descriptive verbs)
- i porang (he/she/it is / they are beautiful)
- Him, her, it, them (with transitive verbs)
- a-i-kuab (i know him/her/it/them)
- His, her, its, their (with nouns)
- i py (his/her/its/their foot/feet)
- Him, her, it, them (before postpositions)
- i xupé (to him/her/it/them)
|First person||i mi, i fi||i ni|
|Second person||i ti||i chi|
|Third person|| iddo fe