From [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] larva (“‘ghost-like, masked’”).
- (UK) IPA: /ˈlɑː(ɹ).və/, SAMPA: /lA:(r).v@/
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)və
- (US) IPA: /ˈlɑrvə/, SAMPA: /lArv@/
- Homophones: lava (in non-rhotic accents)
- A stage of growth for some insects, in which they are wingless and resemble a caterpillar or grub after hatching from their egg
- An animal in the aforementioned stage.
- A form of a recently born or hatched animal that is quite different from its adult stage.
Although the plural larvas is somewhat common, it is regarded by some as incorrect.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
larva f. (plural larve)
- (grub): bruco
From Larēs (“‘guardian deities’”).
- English: larva
- definite singular of larve