- 1920L. Spence Encyc. Occult
- Margaritomancy: Divination by pearls. A pearl was covered with a vase, and placed near the fire, and the names of suspected persons pronounced. When the name of the guilty one was uttered the pearl was supposed to bound upwards and pierce the bottom of the vase.
- 1931Lock tr. de Givry Picture Museum of Sorcery
- Very curious was margaritomancy, or divination by a pearl. "The pearl is to be enchanted," says de l'Ancre, "and shut in a pot; then if it chance that the name of the thief be pronounced the pearl will leap, striking against the pot."
- 1970 Zolar Encyc. of Ancient & Forbidden Knowledge
- MARGARITOMANCY: A procedure utilizing pearls which were supposed to bounce upward beneath an inverted pot if a guilty person approached.