Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Third person singular
- (transitive) To close, to stop from being open.
- Please shut the door.
- The light was so bright I had to shut my eyes.
- (intransitive) To close, to stop being open.
- If you wait too long, the automatic door will shut.
- (transitive or Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To close a business temporarily, or (of a business) to be closed.
- The pharmacy is shut on Sunday.
Except when part of one of the derived terms listed below, almost every use of shut can be replaced by close. The reverse is not true -- there are many uses of close than cannot be replaced by shut.
- (UK, Shropshire Template loop detected: Template:context 2) A narrow alley or passage acting as a short cut through the buildings between two streets.
- (alleyway): alley, gennel (Northern Ireland), ginnel (Yorkshire and Lancashire), gitty (East Midlands), jitty (Midlands), passage, snicket (Northern England), wynd (Scotland)
Elsewhere on the web