Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Let the first impulse pass, wait for the second.Baltasar Gracian
See also That
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- Connecting clauses involving reported speech etc.
- He told me that the book is a good read.
- That as a conjunction is often unused — "He told me that it is a good read." could just as easily be "He told me it is a good read."
that (plural those)
- The (thing) being indicated (at a distance from the speaker, or previously mentioned, or at another time).
- That book is a good read.
- That battle was in 1450.
what is being indicated
that demonstrative (plural those)
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) That thing.
- That was an interesting example.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Which.
- I like the song that you wrote.
- In this sense, that is prescriptively used in restrictive contexts only. For non-restrictive contexts, e.g. I like the last song on the album, which John wrote (one out of many), which is preferred.
Elsewhere on the web