Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
A person is never happy till their vague strivings has itself marked out its proper limitations.Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
नामन् (nā́man) n.
- a characteristic mark or sign, form, nature, kind, manner
- name, appellation
- (with √kṛ or √vi-dhā) — to call by a name
- personal name (as opposed to गोत्रे (gotre), “‘family name’”); cf. नामगोत्र (nāma-gotra))
- merely the name (as opposed to reality; cf. नामधारक (nāma-dhāraka), नाममात्र (nāma-mātra), नामशेष (nāma-śeṣa) etc.)
- (grammar) a noun (as opposed to a verb)
- substance, essence (in the mīmāṃsā philosophy opposed to guṇa, accidental quality)
- a good or great name, renown, fame (only at the end of a compound; cf. श्वनामन् (śva-nāman), सुमन्तुनामन् (sumántu-nāman))
- Sir Monier Monier-Williams, A Sanskrit-English dictionary etymologically and philologically arranged with special reference to cognate Indo-European languages, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1898, page 0536
Elsewhere on the web