Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.Mahatma Gandhi
と (romaji to)
- The /to/ syllable.
- The twentieth character in the gojūon ordering of hiragana. The previous character is て and the next character is な. The equivalent katakana character is ト.
- For a list of words starting with と (to) see: Special:Allpages/と
と (romaji to)
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) and
- used as a quotation
- if (when appended to a dictionary-form verb and followed by a present-tense sentence)
- when (when appended to a dictionary form verb and followed by a past-tense sentence)
- と (to) in the sense of "and" can only be used to conjoin nouns; not verbs or sentences. They are joined by conjugation.
- と (to) in the sense of "and" implies that the list is complete. In the above sentence, the subject only speaks English and French. To imply other items, the particles とか (toka) or や (ya) are used in lieu of と (to). The particle など (nado), “‘etc., and so on’”) can be appended to a list of nouns conjoined by と to imply that there are other items on the list.
- と (to) in the sense of "if" can be interchangeable with the conditional particles ば (ba) and たら (tara)/なら (nara) if the conditionals describe a hypothetical effect of an action.
- When と (to) is used in the meaning "when" it implies that something happened abruptly. See とき (toki).
Elsewhere on the web