Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Love laughs at locksmiths.Proverb
- Forming nouns with the sense of ‘collection’ or appurtenance.
- Forming nouns with the sense of "action or result of Xing" or, more rarely, "action related to X".
- Forming nouns with the sense of "state of being (a) X"
- (rare) Forming collective nouns.
- Although the historical suffix has had many applications (e.g. family relationships, lcoations), it is now restricted primarily to the sense of "action of Xing", and many terms now have little to no connection with the most common uses. This is especially notable of those descended from actual Latin words in -aticus such as fromage and voyage.
Elsewhere on the web