Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always.Rainer Maria Rilke
See also Appendix:Variations of "an"
From Latin adjective suffix -anus
- of or pertaining to; adjective suffix appended to various words, often nouns, to make an adjective form. Often added to words of Latin origin, but used with other words also.
- Rome, Roman
- Minnesota, Minnesotan
- Suffix appended to words to create a masculine noun, usually denoting a (often negative) feature or endearment.
- (personal) Forms the impersonal indicative present forms of verbs that include back vowels (a, o or u or i or e with a, o or u — cf. -än), appended to the infinitive.
- No changes in verbs that end in one a.
- Verbs ending in -oa the beginning stem is followed by -ta- and then by this.
- Verbs ending in -aa or -ea the beginning stem is followed by -eta- and then by this.
- (case suffix) A suffix variant for the illative singular, see -Vn.
- (possessive) A variant for the third-person suffix -nsa, see the usage notes below.
- (third-person possessive suffix variant): When the third-person suffix -nsa is appended to nouns that are in singular and plural inessive, elative, adessive, ablative, essive and abessive and plural partitive and singular partitive ending with -ta, the S and A are very often omitted from the suffix and the last A of the case suffix preceding the remaining N is doubled — resulting in this -an. In standard Finnish, both the "full" form and the shortened form are acceptable (cf. -nsä). This same omission takes very often place also in the nominal verb forms used in shortened sentences (see the meanings of -nsa) and in the adverbs requiring this suffix:
- IPA: /ˈɒn/
- Creates adverbs from adjectives in back vowel words. The front vowel version is -en.
- IPA: /an/
- A masculine suffix used to form nouns meaning a smaller form of something, often used for male given names.
- Used to form regular plurals of nouns.
- Suffix indicating the third-person plural present indicative of -ar verbs.
- Suffix indicating the third-person plural present subjunctive of -er and -ir verbs.
- Suffix indicating the third-person plural imperative of -er and -ir verbs.
Elsewhere on the web