Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well.Josh Billings
- Alternative form of -logy, used for phonological reasons when the preceding morpheme ends in certain consonant sounds.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) added to an ordinary English word to create a name for a (possibly non-existent) field of study
- 1843: Thomas Chandler Haliburton, The Attache; or, Sam Slick in England - well, he knows all about mineralogy, and geology, and astrology, and every thing a'most, except what he ought to know, and that is dollar-ology.
- 1857: Delia Bacon, The Philosophy of the Plays of Shakespeare Unfolded - ...so long as a mere human word-ology is suffered to remain here, clogging all with its deadly impotence...
- 1916: Jack London, The Little Lady of the Big House - It seems he'd been making original researches in anthropology, or folk-lore-ology, or something like that.
Elsewhere on the web