Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Loving can cost a lot but not loving always costs more, and those who fear to love often find that want of love is an emptiness that robs the joy from life.Merle Shan
- IPA: [-stiˣ]
-sti (not comparable and comparable; comparative -mmin, superlative -eimmin)
- (multiplicative) Corresponds number + times structure in English.
- (adverbial suffix, comparable) Forms adverbs from adjectives; corresponds to the English suffix -ly.
- (intensifier) Forms an intensifier adverbs from certain nouns.
- (multiplicative) Used only with small numbers, and with some pronouns; note that yksi (“‘one’”) → yhdesti (“‘once’”) is not standard Finnish (cf. kerran).
- (adverbial suffix) The suffix is appended to the weak stem, i.e. one takes the n off the genitive singular form and adds this suffix to it. The resulting adverb is comparable, if the base word is comparable: for example kauniisti, kauniimmin (more beautifully), kauneimmin (most beautifully). It can be appended to all adjectives, but also to selected nouns and numerals.
- (intensifier) The suffix is often applied to a vulgar term.
expression of how many times sthg happens
- adverbial suffix
Elsewhere on the web