Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is an uphill business for the guy who's not on the level.John Welsh
See also hijra
Hijra (sometimes lowercase)
- Hegira (the beginning of the Muslim era, equivalent to July 16, 622, by the Julian calendar of the time)
- Since the Muslim lunar year contains only 354 days, the year 2005 is approximately equivalent to Hijra 1426.
- The first day of the Islamic month of Muharram.
- Calendar system used in Islam.
- In the Muslim calendar the year is only 354 days long, 11 days shorter than the Western calendar system. This is because of its lunar system, where every year consists of exactly 12 moon cycles. The other common name of the Muslim calendar is "hijra", referring to the fleeing of the Prophet Muhammad and his followers from Mecca to Yathrib (later Madina). The hijra calendar starts counting its days starting on July 16, 622 CE, which is the estimated date of Muhammad's flight to Yathrib. http://lexicorient.com/e.o/islam_cal.htm
- Muhammad’s departure from Mecca to avoid persecution.
- Library of Congress / Federal Research Division / Country Studies: hijra "Literally, to migrate, to sever relations, to leave one's tribe. Throughout the Muslim world, hijra refers to the migration to Medina of Muhammad and his early followers. In this sense, the word has come into European languages as hegira". http://memory.loc.gov/frd/cs/saudi_arabia/sa_glos.html
- Any flight or journey to a better place.
Elsewhere on the web