Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
There are chapters in every life which are seldom read and certainly not aloud.Carol Shields
- The Goidelic language indigenous to Ireland, also known as Irish Gaelic.
- The spelling of Irish is very complicated.
- (collectively as a plural) The Irish people.
- A board game of the tables family.
- (informal) Temper; anger.(Megan Lapin)
- 1947, Hy Heath, John Lange, Clancy Lowered the Boom
- Whenever he got his Irish up, Clancy lowered the boom.
AdjectiveIrish (not comparable)
- Pertaining to or originating from Ireland or the Irish people.
- Sheep are typical in the Irish landscape.
- Pertaining to the Irish language.
- (informal, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Nonsensical, illogical.
pertaining to or originating from Ireland or the Irish people
pertaining to the language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Irish–English Dictionary: from Webster’s Dictionary — the Rosetta Edition.
- ISO 639-1 code ga, ISO 639-3 code gle (SIL)
- Ethnologue entry for Irish, gle
Elsewhere on the web