Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.William Blake
See also Appendix:Variations of "jo"
- A diminutive of the female given names Josephine, Joan or Joanna. Often used in conjoined names such as Jo Ann or Mary Jo.
- A rare spelling variant of Joe, diminutive of Joseph.
- 1853 Charles Dickens: Bleak House: Chapter XI:
- Name, Jo. Nothing else that he knows on. Don't know that everybody has two names. Never heerd of sich a think. Don't know that Jo is short for a a longer name. Thinks it long enough for him. He don't find no fault with it. Spell it? No. He can't spell it.
- 1888 Marietta Holley: Josiah Allen's Wife as a P.A. and P.I.: Samantha at the Centennial: page 577:
- "Its name is Samantha Jo, after Josiah and me. You know they call girls Jo and Josie a sight lately; its name is agreeable to Josiah and me, very.
Elsewhere on the web