Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Lojban
- 4 Mandarin
- 5 Romanian
- 6 Romansch
- IPA: /lɛ/
- lay, equivalent to French laïc, laïque (relating to laypersons as opposed to clerical).
- Only used in the phrase "frères lais"; means religious servants not (yet) having been admitted to the priestly dignity.
- indicates that a name follows, and that the speaker means the mass composed of constituents bearing this name
lai (Pinyin lái)
- come; arrive
- lai a! Come on!
- A transliteration of any of a number of Chinese characters properly represented as having one of three tones, lái, lǎi, or lài.
English transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
- IPA: [ laj ]
lai 3 nom/acc forms
- black (or black mixed with white)
Elsewhere on the web