Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.Joan Crawford
- A male given name originally given in honor of a fourth century soldier-saint.
- A European surname derived from the given name.
- An English habitational surname for some who lived near a mere.
- 1767 Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy: Book IV ( Slawkenbergius's Tale ):
- Luther was not born in the year 1483, but in 84; and not on the 22nd day of October, but on the 10th of November, the eve of Martinmas day, from whence he had the name of Martin. - - - Now you see, brother Toby, he would say, looking up, "that christian names are not such indifferent things;" - Had Luther here been called by any other name but Martin, he would have been damned to all eternity - Not that I look upon Martin, he would add, as a good name - far from it - 'tis something better than a neutral, and but a little - yet little as it is, you see it was of some service to him.
- A male given name, cognate to English Martin. Feminine form: Martine.
- A surname based on the given name.
Martin [[Category:Template:lang:de proper nouns|Martin]]
Elsewhere on the web