Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Happiness is a sunbeam which may pass through a thousand bosoms without losing a particle of its original ray; nay, when it strikes on a kindred heart, like the converged light on a mirror, it reflects itself with redoubled brightness. It is not perfected till it is shared.Jane Porter
See also scotch
Contraction of Scottish
- Rhymes: -ɒtʃ
- (as a plural noun) The people of Scotland (this usage is currently deprecated by the Scottish themselves).
- The Scottish dialect of English.
- (uncountable) Whisky made in Scotland
- (countable) Any variety of Scotch.
- (countable) A glass of Scotch.
- (people of Scotland): Scots, Scottish
- (Scottish dialect): Scots, Scots English, Scottish
- (whisk(e)y): malt, malt whiskey, malt whisky, Scotch whiskey, Scotch whisky
people of Scotland
uncountable: whisk(e)y made in Scotland
any variety of scotch
glass of scotch
- Scotch is a trademark of 3M (see ) and so should always be spelled with an initial capital.
AdjectiveScotch (not comparable)
- Of or from Scotland.
- The Scottish dislike the term Scotch and consider it offensive. The more appropriate adjectives are Scottish or Scots.
terms derived from Scotch
Elsewhere on the web