Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
In love, as in gluttony, pleasure is a matter of the utmost precision.Italo Calvino
- The act of abating, or the state of being abated; a lessening, diminution, or reduction; removal or putting an end to; as, the abatement of a nuisance is the suppression thereof.
- The amount abated; that which is taken away by way of reduction; deduction; decrease; a rebate or discount allowed.
- (heraldry) A mark of dishonor on an escutcheon; any figure added to the coat of arms tending to lower the dignity or station of the bearer.
- (law) The entry of a stranger, without right, into a freehold after the death of the last possessor, before the heir or devisee.
the act of abating or the state of being abated
- The Manual of Heraldry, Fifth Edition, by Anonymous, London, 1862, online at 
Elsewhere on the web