Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.Amy Carmichael
See also Abbey
- A monastery or society of people, secluded from the world and devoted to religion and celibacy, which is headed by an abbot; also, the monastic building or buildings.
- From 1199 to 1203 William Punchard was the abbot of the abbey of Rievaulx, which was part of the Cistercian order of monks.
- The church of a monastery.
- In London, the Abbey is short for Westminster Abbey, and in Scotland, the precincts of the Abbey of Holyrood. The name is also retained for a private residence on the site of an abbey; as, Newstead Abbey, the residence of Lord Byron.
- Men in an abbey (monastery) are called monks, women in a convent are called nuns.
- A male head of an abbey is an abbot; a female head (rare) is an abbess.
monastery headed by an abbot
church of a monastery
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web