Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Sometimes we may learn more from a man's errors, than from his virtues.Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The superior or head of an abbey or monastery.
- The newly appointed abbot decided to take a tour of the abbey with the cardinal's emissary.
- One of a class of bishops whose sees were formerly abbeys. "Encyclopedia Britannica"
superior or head of an abbey or monastery
- Abbot of Misrule
- abbot of the people
- mitred abbot, mitered abbot
- titular abbot
- Abbot of the people: a title formerly given to one of the chief magistrates in Genoa.
- Abbot of Misrule (or Lord of Misrule), in mediæval times, the master of revels, as at Christmas; in Scotland called the Abbot of Unreason. - "Encyclopedia Britanica"
- Webster 1913
|Inflection for abbot||Singular||Plural|
Elsewhere on the web