Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Act happy, feel happy, be happy, without a reason in the world. Then you can love, and do what you will.Dan Millman
- A shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole: Dr.
- The act or result of shortening or reducing.
- (music) One or more dashes through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, demi-semiquavers, or hemi-demi-semiquavers.
- (mathematics) Reduction to lower terms, as a fraction.
shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase
act or result of shortening or reducing
music: one or more dashes through the stem of a note
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- “abbreviation” in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
- “abbreviation” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- “abbreviation” in WordNet 2.0, Princeton University, 2003.
Elsewhere on the web