Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is at its best when it's shaken and stirred.F. Paul Facult
- The act of abolishing, or the state of being abolished; an annulling; abrogation; utter destruction; as, the abolition of slavery or the slave trade; the abolition of laws, decrees, ordinances, customs, taxes, debts, etc.
- Note: The application of this word to persons is now unusual or obsolete.
- (often capitalised), (in British territories) The ending of the slave trade (1807) or of slavery (1833).
- (often capitalised), (in the US) the emancipation of slaves, by the Emancipation Proclamation (1863, ratified 1865).
act of abolishing
Abolition of slave trade
emancipation of slaves
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Webster 1913
abolition f. (plural abolitions)
Elsewhere on the web