Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
People who are sensible about love are incapable of it.Douglas Yates
acaba (infinitive: acabar)
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present indicative form of acabar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present indicative form of acabar.
- Informal second-person singular (“tú”) affirmative imperative form of acabar.
- A word which makes the sentence specify curiosity, dither or doubt (and sometimes courtesy) meaning. In English phrases like "I wonder", "Would you please mind...", "May I..." are used instead of it.
- "Acaba bana ne hediye aldı?": "(I wonder) What did he/she buy me as a present?" (curiosity)
- "Acaba sınavı geçer miyim?": "(I wonder) Can I pass the exam?" (doubt)
- "Acaba hangi ayakkabıyı alsam?": "(I wonder) Which shoe should I buy?" (dither)
- "Acaba şu çantaya da bakabilir miyim?": "(I wonder) Can I see this bag, too?" (courtesy)
"Acaba" may be at the end of the sentence, too. (like "Bana ne hediye aldı acaba?")
Elsewhere on the web