Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- A higher or stronger articulation of a particular syllable of a word or phrase in order to distinguish it from the others or to emphasize it.
- A mark or character used in writing, in order to indicate the place of the spoken accent, or to indicate the nature or quality of the vowel marked.
- Modulation of the voice in speaking; the manner of speaking or pronouncing; a peculiar or characteristic modification of the voice, expressing emotion; tone; as, a foreign accent; a French or a German accent.
- Beguiled you in a plain accent. - Shakespeare, King Lear, II-ii
- The tender accent of a woman's cry. - Prior
- A nonstandard way of pronouncing.
- The nonnative English speaker has an accent.
- A word; a significant tone or sound.
- (in plural) Expressions in general; speech.
- (prosody) Stress laid on certain syllables of a verse.
- (music) A regularly recurring stress upon the tone to mark the beginning, and, more feebly, the third part of the measure.
- (music) A special emphasis of a tone, even in the weaker part of the measure.
- (music) The rhythmical accent, which marks phrases and sections of a period.
- (music) The expressive emphasis and shading of a passage.
- (mathematics) A mark placed at the right hand of a letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudes of a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as y', y''.
- (geometry) A mark at the right hand of a number, indicating minutes of a degree, seconds, etc., as in "12' 27''", meaning twelve minutes and twenty-seven seconds.
- (engineering) A mark used to denote feet and inches, as in "6' 10''", meaning six feet ten inches.
- Paint, wallpaper, or similar coating that contrasts with the surroundings.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
From Old French accenter.
Third person singular
- (transitive) To express the accent of (either by the voice or by a mark); to utter or to mark with accent.
- (transitive) To mark emphatically; to emphasize; to accentuate.
- (transitive) To mark with written accents.
accent m. (plural accents)
- Accent (one's manner of speaking)
- Accent (the symbol on a character)
Elsewhere on the web