Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Third person singular
- (transitive) To receive, especially with a consent, with favour or with approval.
- She accepted of a treat. - Joseph Addison
- The Lord accept thy burnt sacrifice. - Psalms 20:3
- (transitive) To receive or admit to; to agree to; to assent to; to submit to; as, I accept your proposal, amendment, or excuse.
- (transitive) To endure patiently.
- I accept my punishment.
- (transitive) (commerce) To agree to pay.
- (transitive) To receive officially; as, to accept the report of a committee.
to receive with consent
to agree to
to endure patietly
to agree to pay
to receive officially
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (obsolete) Accepted.
- Pass our accept and peremptory answer. - Shakespeare: Henry V, V-ii
Elsewhere on the web