Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.Harold J. Smith
- A naval officer of the highest rank; the commander of a country's naval forces.
- A naval officer of high rank, immediately below Admiral of the Fleet; the commander of a fleet or squadron.
- A flag officer in the United States Navy or Coast Guard of a grade superior to vice admiral and junior to admiral of the fleet (when that grade is used). An admiral is equal in grade or rank to a four star general.
- The ship which carries the admiral, the flagship; also, the most considerable ship of a fleet.
- (obsolete) A prince or Saracen leader under the Sultan.
- (zoological) Any of various nymphalid butterflies of Europe and America, especially a red admiral or white admiral.
a prince or Saracen leader under the Sultan
a naval officer of the highest rank
a naval officer of high rank, immediately below Admiral of the Fleet
the ship which carries the admiral, the flagship
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
admiral m. sg.
Elsewhere on the web