Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Middle English avisen (“‘to perceive, consider, inform’”) < Old French aviser < Late Latin advisare < ad + visare < [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] videre (“‘to see’”), visum (past participle of videre). See also advice.
Third person singular
- (transitive) To give advice to; to offer an opinion, as worthy or expedient to be followed; to counsel; to warn.
- (transitive) To give information or notice to; to inform; — with of before the thing communicated.
- we were advised of the risk.
- See also Wikisaurus:advise
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web