Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than in the one where they sprung up.Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Early Modern English: aeromancie, æromancy, aëromancy, aeromanty, eromancy, heromancy
- Forms containing "ë" are now obsolete.
- Divination by use of atmospheric conditions.
- "heromancy" -- OED, 1546
- "If these apparitions are in the Ayre, then it is called Aeromancie." -- Astrologaster, J. Melton, 1620
- "Have you a mind, quoth Her Trippa, to have the truth of the matter yet more fully and amply disclosed unto you by..aeromancy, whereof Aristophanes in his Clouds maketh great estimation..?" -- Works of Rabelais III, 1951
divination by use of atmospheric conditions
Elsewhere on the web