Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
In the early days all I hoped was to make a living out of what I did best. But, since there's no real market for masturbation I had to fall back on my bass playing abilities.Les Claypool
- an upward rush of fluid
- 1874 January 9, "Chemical News from Foreign Sources," Chemical News , page 26, of waterspouts:
- The vis viva of these affluxes is employed almost wholly in turning the mass of intermediate gas..."
- (hydrology) The rise in water level (above normal) on the upstream side of a bridge or obstruction caused when the effective flow area at the obstruction is less than the natural width of the stream immediately upstream of the obstruction.
- 2004, Transportation Association of Canada, Guide to Bridge Hydraulics , ISBN 0727732625, page 66 :
- "Backwater due to the crossing as a whole should not be confused with local afflux at piers due to pileup of flow against the hydraulic stagnation point..."
- influx (inward flow)
Elsewhere on the web