Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us, and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.George Eliot
- A struggle or contest; conflict; especially between the protagonist and antagonist in a literary work.
- A test of will; a conflict
- “Freud's originality stemmed from his aggression and ambition in his agon with biology” (Harold Bloom).
- A contest in ancient Greece, as in athletics or music, in which prizes were awarded.
- A two-player boardgame played with a hexagonally-tiled board, popular in Victorian times. Also known as queen's guard.
a struggle or contest
a test of will
a contest in ancient Greece
a two-player boardgame
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- a contest
- Lewis & Short, A Latin Dictionary
Elsewhere on the web