Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The pain of love is the pain of being alive. It is a perpetual wound.Maureen Duffy
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
Originally a genitive form of alway.
- (UK) IPA: /ˈɔːl.weɪz/, SAMPA: /"O:l.weIz/
- (US) IPA: /ˈɔl.weɪz/, /ˈɔl.wiz/, SAMPA: /"Ol.weIz/, /"Ol.wiz/
- help, file
- Hyphenation: al‧ways
Adverbalways (not comparable)
- At all times; ever; perpetually; throughout all time; continually:
- God is always the same.
- Constantly during a certain period, or regularly at stated intervals; invariably; uniformly;—opposed to sometimes or occasionally.
- He always rides a black galloway. --Bulwer.
at all times
constantly during a certain period, or regularly at stated intervals
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web