Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
I would rather live and love where death is king than have eternal life where love is not.Robert Green Ingersoll
- (inhabitant or native of Americas or of the United States) American
- (inabitant or native of the United States) statunitense
- latino americano / latino-americano
- American (inhabitant of the Americas)
- American (persn born, or citizen of, the United States of America)
- Native of the United States
- a native of the Americas.
- a native of the United States.
- someone who became rich in America (continent) and returned to his country.
- Definition 1 is the common meaning.
- Definition 2 is more modern and imported from the English.
- Definition 3 is very rarely used, the term indiano being more common.
- Only in the United States is americano currently used in reference to the United States. Otherwise, in Spanish americano is always used in reference to the American continent. For the United States (country) in particular, the correct global term is estadounidense.
- The usage of the term norteamericano in reference to the United States is also not entirely correct, as this term technically refers to North America (which includes Canada, United States and Mexico), but it is very common in reference to the U.S.
Elsewhere on the web