Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us, and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.George Eliot
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- Denotes a mingling or intermixing with distinct or separable objects. (See Usage Note at amidst)
- How can you speak with authority about their customs when you have never lived among them?
- Denotes a belonging of a person or a thing to a group.
- He is among the few who completely understand the subject.
- Denotes a sharing of a common feature in a group.
- Lactose intolerance is common among people of Asian heritage.
- For the comparison of among with between, see the usage notes in between.
- 1611 — King James Version of the Bible, Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us...
mingling or intermixing
Elsewhere on the web