Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
A pity beyond all telling is hid in the heart of love.William Butler Yeats
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (UK) IPA: /əˈnʌðə(ɹ)/, SAMPA: /@"nVD@(r\)/
- (US) IPA: /əˈnʌðɚ/, SAMPA: /@"nVD@`/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -ʌðə(r)
- Hyphenation: an‧oth‧er
- One more, in addition to a former number; a second or additional one, similar in likeness or in effect.
- Yes, I'd like another slice of cake, thanks.
- Not the same; different.
- Do you know another way to do this job?
- Any or some; any different person, indefinitely; anyone else; someone else.
- He has never known another like her.
- As a fused head construction another may have a possessive another's (plural: others, or possessive plural other. It is much used in opposition to one; as, one went one way, another another. It is also used with one, in a reciprocal sense; as, "love one another," that is, let each love the other or others.
- These two imparadised in one another's arms.
one more, in addition to a former number
not the same; different
any or some
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web