Visit the forum if you have a language query!
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye; as, his sudden appearance surprised me.
- A thing seen; a phenomenon; a phase; an apparition; as, an appearance in the sky.
- Personal presence; exhibition of the person; look; aspect; mien.
- And now am come to see . . . It thy appearance answer loud report. --Milton.
- Semblance, or apparent likeness; external show. pl. Outward signs, or circumstances, fitted to make a particular impression or to determine the judgment as to the character of a person or a thing, an act or a state; as, appearances are against him.
- There was upon the tabernacle, as it were, the appearance of fire. --Num. ix. 15.
- For man looketh on the outward appearance. --1 Sam. xvi. 7.
- Judge not according to the appearance. --John. vii. 24.
- The act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character; as, a person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
- Will he now retire, After appearance, and again prolong Our expectation? --Milton.
- (law) The coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction. --Burrill. --Bouvier. --Daniell.
- To put in an appearance = to be present; to appear in person.
- To save appearances = to preserve a fair outward show.
Part or all of this page has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Elsewhere on the web