Visit the forum if you have a language query!
From back up
- A reserve or substitute.
- If the goalkeeper is injured, we have a backup.
- (computing) A copy of a file or record, stored separately from the original, that can be used to recover the original if it is destroyed or damaged.
- After the power failure, we had to restore the database from backup.
- An accumulation of material that halts the flow or movement of something.
- The blockage caused a backup in the plumbing.
- (reserve): reserve, stand-in, spare, substitute
- (computing: copy of a file or record):
- (accumulation of material that halts flow): block, blockage
Adjectivebackup (not comparable)
- standby, reserve or extra
- I am only a backup player.
- (computing) That is intended as a backup.
- Make a backup copy of that file.
Back-up is an alternative spelling of backup. Both spellings see usage as noun or adjective. The verb back up is always spelled as two words and never with a hyphen.
Elsewhere on the web