Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools.Katherine Mansfield
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
Third person singular
- (transitive) To accept that someone is telling the truth.
- Why did I ever believe you?
- (transitive) To accept as true.
- If you believe the numbers, you'll agree we need change.
- (transitive) To consider likely.
- I believe it might rain tomorrow.
- (intransitive) To have religious faith; to believe in a greater truth.
- After that night in the church, I believed.
- The transitive verb believe and the phrasal verb believe in are similar but can have very different implications.
- To “believe” someone or something means to accept specific pieces of information as truth: believe the news, believe the lead witness. To “believe a complete stranger” means to accept a stranger's story with little evidence.
- To “believe in” someone or something means to place faith in that person or concept: believe in liberty, believe in God. To “believe in one's fellow man” means to place faith in mankind.
- Meanings sometimes overlap. To believe in a religious text would also require affirming at least the major principles. To believe a religious text might likewise imply placing one's faith in it, in addition to accepting its statements as facts.
- 1611 — King James Version of the Bible, Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us...
to accept that someone is telling the truth (object: person)
to accept as true
to consider likely
to have religious faith; to believe in a greater truth
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web