Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim.Bertrand Russell
- The leading sheep of a flock, having a bell hung round its neck.
- Anything that indicates future trends.
- A stock or bond that is widely believed to be an indicator of the overall market's condition.
- 1861 — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., Elsie Venner, ch XXXI
- Several old ladies forthwith proclaimed their intention of following him; but, as one or two of them were deaf, and another had been threatened with an attack of that mild, but obstinate complaint, dementia senilis, many thought it was not so much the force of his arguments as a kind of tendency to jump as the bellwether jumps, well known in flocks not included in the Christian fold.
the leading sheep of a flock, having a bell hung round its neck
a stock or bond that is widely believed to be an indicator of the overall market's condition
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web