Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
We only seem to learn from Life that Life doesn't matter so much as it seemed to do—it's not so burningly important, after all, what happens. We crawl, like blinking sea-creatures, out of the Ocean onto a spur of rock, we creep over the promontory bewildered and dazzled and hurting ourselves, then we drop in the ocean on the other side: and the little transit doesn't matter so much.D. H. Lawrence
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A female dog or other canine. In particular one who has recently had puppies.
- My bitch just had puppies: they're so cute!
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A female who is malicious, spiteful, unbearable, intrusive, or obnoxious.
- Ann gossiped about me and mocked my work; sometimes she can be a real bitch!
- 1913, D. H. Lawrence, Sons and Lovers, I. iv. 60:
- 'Look at the children, you nasty little bitch!' he sneered.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) By extension, a man with any of these qualities, especially a gay man (suggesting his behavior is womanly) or a man who is dishonorable, cowardly, spineless, whiny, or otherwise behaves in a manner unbecoming a man.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Friend.
- What’s up, my bitch?
- How my bitches been doin'?
- An angry retort directed to a close buddy.
- Will you stop this, my bitch??
- A person in an unfavorable, undesirable position.
- When we pile into the car, I tend to be a bitch, stuck in the middle of the back seats.
- A person who is made to adopt a submissive role in a relationship.
- Do you have to ask your girl before you do everything? You must be the bitch in the relationship.
- 1999 September 23, Chris Sheridan, “This House Is Freakin’ Sweet”, “Peter, Peter, Caviar Eater”, Family Guy, season 2, episode 1, Fox Broadcasting Company
- Now that you're stinking rich, we'd gladly be your bitch.
- (slang) A complaint.
- (slang, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A difficult or confounding problem.
- Question 5 was a real bitch, don’t you think?
- That's a bitch of a question. (Or, a bitch of a problem, etc.)
- (slang) A queen (the playing card)
- The noun bitch is sometimes diffused by intentional colloquial overuse or misuse. In print, the noun referring to a person is demeaning and sometimes implies that the person being insulted is subservient.
- In professional circles, the noun bitch is sometimes used to refer to intelligent and ambitious women with a high level of sex-appeal who use those qualities to achieve their goals.
- (female dog, etc): female (when the species is specified or implied)
- (malicious, etc, woman): cow
- (malicious, etc, man): bastard
- (jocular slang, one's friend):
- (person in an unfavorable, undesirable position):
- (person in a relationship who is made to adopt a submissive role): doormat
- (a complaint): gripe, grumble, kvetch, moan, whinge
- (difficult or confounding problem): toughie, stinker, pain in the ass
- (to talk about):
- bitch fight
- bitch slap
- bitch switch
- flip a bitch
- life's a bitch
- payback is a bitch, payback's a bitch
- son of a bitch, sonofabitch
spiteful man, especially a gay man
person in an unfavorable, undesirable position
person in relationship who is made to adopt a submissive role
- Weisenberg, Michael (2000) The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523
Third person singular
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To make derogatory comments (about a person).
- Look, I saw you bitching about me yesterday, I know how you feel: why can't you say it to my face?
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To criticize (something) spitefully, often for the sake of complaining rather than in order to have the problem corrected.
- All you ever do is bitch about the food I cook for you!
- (make derogatory comments (about someone)): badmouth, slag off (UK), snipe at
- (complain spitefully (about something)): gripe about/at, grumble about/at, kvetch about/at, moan about/at, piss and moan about/at, sniff at, whine about/at, whinge about/at
make derogatory comments (about someone)
complain (about something) spitefully
Elsewhere on the web