Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Third person singular
- (intransitive) To repeatedly draw air into, and expel it from, the lungs in order to extract oxygen from it and excrete waste products.
- (intransitive) To exchange gases with the environment.
- Garments made of ****** and similar new materials breathe well and keep the skin relatively dry during exercise.
- (intransitive) Figuratively, to be relaxed or calm.
- ...a child's peaceful breathing...
- ...the wind breathes through the trees...
- (intransitive) Figuratively, to live.
- I will not allow it, as long as I still breathe.
- (transitive) To repeatedly draw (something) into, and expel (that thing) from, the lungs.
- Try not to breathe too much smoke.
- (transitive) To whisper quietly.
- He breathed the words into her ear, but she understood them all.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web