Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 Lojban
- 4 Norwegian
- 5 Polish
- 6 Swedish
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- bye (archaic for preposition and adverb, not used for abbreviation, preferred for noun and interjection)
- Near or next to.
- The mailbox is by the bus stop.
- At some time before (the given time), or before the end of a given time interval.
- Be back by ten o'clock!
- We will send it by the first week of July.
- (Indicates the actor in a clause with its verb in the passive voice) Through the action or presence of.
- The matter was decided by the chairman.
- The boat was swamped by the water.
- He was protected by his body armour.
- (Indicates the creator of a work) Existing through the authorship etc of.
- There are many well-known plays by William Shakespeare
- (Indicates a means) Involving/using the means of.
- I avoided the guards by moving only when they weren't looking.
- (Indicates a rule followed) Using the rules or logic of.
- I sorted the items by category.
- (Indicates the amount of some progression) With a change of.
- Our stock is up by ten percent.
- (In the formulae X by X and by Xs, indicates a steady progression, one X after another.)
- We went through the book page by page.
- We crawled forward by inches.
- (Indicates an oath) With the authority of.
- By Jove! I think she's got it!
- By all that is holy, I'll put an end to this.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Along a path which runs by the speaker.
- I watched as it passed by.
Adjectiveby (not comparable)
- Out of the way, subsidiary.
- Alternative spelling of bye.
- bydel c
- bymidte c
- bymæssig adjective
- byområde n
- byorkester n
- byplanlægning c
- byret c
- byråd n
- byvåben n
- byzone c
- landsby c
- letteral for b
- IPA: [bɨ]
by [[Category:Template:lang:pl particles|by]]
- (always before a verb) a particle used to make conditional mood; would, should
- On by tam nie poszedł. = On nie poszedłby tam. — He would not go there.
- -by (suffix)
by [[Category:Template:lang:pl conjunctions|by]]
- (rare) in order to
|Inflection for by||Singular||Plural|
Elsewhere on the web