Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Originally a form of dance that white masters had their slaves perform for them and their audiences as entertainment. The slaveowners considered the spectacle extremely amusing since the dances derived from sophisticated white European aristocracy. As such, slaveowners dressed the slaves in costumes of exaggerated finery, like ridiculously tall tophats and flashy striped pants, and taught the slaves variations of the original dance steps designed as highly comical parodies. Audiences selected their favorites, and the slaves who performed most entertainingly for their masters were rewarded with a piece of cake.
- A contest in which cake was offered for the best dancers
- (music) The style of music associated with such a contest.
- The dance, or style of dance associated with such a contest.
- Something that is easy or simple, or does not present any great challenge.
- I've known this material for a long time, so the test on it should be a cakewalk.
- For examples of the usage of this word see the citations page.
Elsewhere on the web