Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- IPA: /kænsəl̩/
from Latin cancelli a railing or lattice.
Third person singular
- (transitive) To cross out something with lines etc.
- (transitive) To invalidate or annul something.
- He cancelled his order on their website.
- (transitive) To mark something (such as a used postage stamp) so that it can't be reused.
- This machine cancels the letters that have a valid zip code.
- (transitive) To offset or equalize something.
- The corrective feedback mechanism cancels out the noise.
- (transitive) (mathematics) To remove a common factor from both the numerator and denominator of a fraction, or from both sides of an equation.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (nonstandard) A cancellation.
Elsewhere on the web