Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
It's discouraging to make a mistake, but it's humiliating when you find out you're so unimportant that nobody noticed it.Chuck Daly
Ancient Greek (katoptron), "mirror" < (kathoran) "look upon": (kata) down + (oran) to see.
- Divination by use of mirrors, or other reflective surfaces. Similar to crystallomancy, dubjed, enoptromancy and scrying.
- 1660, Urquhart tr. Rabelais, Gargantua & Pantagruel iii. xxv.
- Her Trippa going on in his Discourse, said by Catoptromancy, likewise held in such account by the Emperor Didius Julianus, That by means thereof, he ever and anon foresaw all that which at any time did happen or befal unto him: Thou shalt not need to put on thy Spectacles; for in a Mirror thou wilt see her as clearly and manifestly Nebrundiated, and Billibodring-it, as if I should shew it in the Fountain of the Temple of Minerva near Parras.
- 1880, J. Grant, Mysteries of all Nations, xlii
- Catoptromancy was a species of divination performed by the aid of a mirror. This..was common among the Achaians.
Elsewhere on the web